About this program
Product of Cyan Soft Ltd., MacShiny Unwanted Application is a dubious system optimization tool for Macs that is classified as a potentially unwanted program (PUP). It’s a program that promises to clean up your Mac on an advanced level and keep it protected. There are plenty of similar programs, all promising to improve a computer’s performance, and while there are legitimate programs of this kind, the majority of them are pretty useless and just aiming to get money. Many of them install without permission (via the bundling method) and then claim the computer is riddled with junk files, various privacy issues and possibly dangerous programs. They then offer to solve those issues but you’d have to buy the full program first.
This particular program may claim that you have a lot of problems on your computer just so you buy the full version to solve the issues. It could show hundreds of issues, which would alarm users enough to buy the full program. This fraudulent practice is quite common among fake system optimizes, for both Windows and Mac computers. Therefore, if you are considering using this program, at least check what it classifies as issues. Because in many cases, minor problems are made out to be severe just to deceive the user.
Do bear in mind, however, that the program is certainly not malicious. It’s not classified as malware, and most anti-spyware programs will detect it as a PUP at best. But that does not mean that you should use it. Users have reported that they have a difficult time contacting customer support to get money back or assistance, so consider things carefully before making a purchase. And if you are not intending to buy the program, delete MacShiny Unwanted Application.
How did it install on a computer
If you cannot recall installing this program, it’s possible for it to have entered via the bundling method. The bundling method is basically attaching additional offers to software. Those offers are usually hidden and need to be manually deselected to prevent their installation. However, since most users are unaware of their presence, they are unable to deselect them, which is how users end up with computers filled with junk programs. When installing free programs, you should pay attention to how you do it. If given the option, pick Advanced or Custom settings instead of Default because those settings will make all offers visible. When a list of added offers appears, you simply need to uncheck the boxes. After you have done that, you can continue installing the program. We do recommend that you always opt for these settings because a lot of freeware comes with added offers. And if you prevent their installation from the very beginning, that will help you keep your computer clean and you won’t need any system optimizers.
Is it a dangerous program to have?
The program is advertised as a tool that has features such as Trash Cleaner, Security Scanner, Duplicate Finder, Advanced Uninstaller, Apps Cleaner, System Cleaner, etc. When it scans your computer, it will show you rather worrying results. There could be hundreds of issues, with varying levels of severeness. We suggest you check those severe issues carefully because these kinds of programs tend to make very minor issues very severe, or make them up even. If you want to use the program’s features to fix up your Mac, you will have buy the program. A 6-month standard plan is €65.70, a 12 ultimate plan is €107.40, and a 24-month deluxe plan is €118.80. The deluxe plan is advertised as some kind of 14 apps in 1, which is supposedly worth €509 but is being offered at €118.80. It gives a list of those 14 apps that are supposedly part of the deluxe package, and how much they would cost if bought separately. Prices displayed for those apps are unrealistic because no one would pay €39 for an app that empties the Trash, or for an app that lets you ‘manage your startup apps’. The more you look into it, the less reliable MacShiny seems, so buying is certainly not recommended.
That being said, it’s not a dangerous program. It will not harm your computer (unless you buy it and it accidentally deletes important files while ‘cleaning’ your Mac) but keeping it is not a good idea. And if you’re not buying it, remove MacShiny Unwanted Application.
MacShiny Unwanted Application removal
You should be able to uninstall MacShiny Unwanted Application by simply putting it in the Trash and emptying it. However, if that does not work, you can use anti-spyware software. According to VirusTotal, 7 security programs detect it as possible threat, so you can use those programs to remove MacShiny Unwanted Application. It is detected as:
- BV:Downloader-OA [Drp] by Avast and AVG
- Program.Mac.Unwanted.MacKeeper.239 by DrWeb
- OSX/Deceptor.MacShiny.A by ESET
- not-a-virus:HEUR:Downloader.OSX.MacShiny.a by Kaspersky
Download Removal Toolto scan for MacShiny Unwanted ApplicationUse our recommended removal tool to scan for MacShiny Unwanted Application. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like MacShiny Unwanted Application and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall MacShiny Unwanted Application and related programs.
Remove MacShiny Unwanted Application from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall MacShiny Unwanted Application from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete MacShiny Unwanted Application from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove MacShiny Unwanted Application from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for MacShiny Unwanted Application or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete MacShiny Unwanted Application from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase MacShiny Unwanted Application from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove MacShiny Unwanted Application from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall MacShiny Unwanted Application from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable MacShiny Unwanted Application and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.