About search.theprotecto.com (Web Score by Protecto)
search.theprotecto.com redirect virus, or you might know it as a browser hijacker, will alter your browser’s settings without permission. The infection changes your homepage, new tabs and search engine, and then attempts to redirect you to sponsored websites. It should be said that the so as to make the changes, the hijacker doesn’t need explicit permission, which is why when users finally notice it, they’re taken aback. If the hijacker isn’t getting on your nerves yet, it soon will because of the changes and the redirects. This behaviour is also why users see them. After all, not noticing the weird redirects when browsing would be rather hard. However, in some cases, users might not be familiar with what hijackers are and may overlook the behaviour and allow the infection to remain.
In order for the hijacker to make traffic and profit, you are redirected to sponsored sites. Hijackers do not check the security of the sites they redirect users to, so the redirects could be potentially harmful. Some of the web pages may expose you to scams or even outright malware.
The hijacker is sneaky and it won’t ask for your explicit permission to install. Software bundling is what this method is called. Bundling software is basically adding extra offers like browser hijackers, adware and other potentially unwanted programs to free software. Unless the user manually prevents them from installing, the items will be permitted to install alongside. The items are not often deselected because users aren’t aware that they’re there. We will explain how to prevent these unwanted installations in the next section.
Web Score by Protecto Hijacker distribution methods
A hijacker is distributed differently from malware, since it’s not malicious. Users allow them to install themselves, albeit they do it without realizing. They often install together with freeware because they are added as an additional item. The items are initially hidden, and will stay concealed unless specific settings are chosen during installation. Free download pages are full of programs that have pests added to them. Thus if you often download freeware, you have to understand how to prevent the added offers from installing.
The important part when installing freeware is picking Advanced (Custom) settings. Those settings will show all additional offers, and you’ll have the option of unchecking them. While the software setup will claim that the “recommended” options are Default, they’ll actually hide all items. If any items have been added, all you’ll need to do is uncheck the boxes.
Always be careful with installation processes, no matter what type of program it is. In addition, avoid downloading applications from dubious sites. Pay attention to what kind of applications you’re installing, otherwise your computer will quickly fill up with junk. And compared to having to uninstall rubbish applications, it is much simpler to simply prevent them from installing.
How dangerous is search.theprotecto.com
You will see the hijacker soon after it installs, even if its installation is hidden. Mainly since it performs unwanted changes to Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox settings. Whenever your browser is opened, the hijacker’s sponsored site will load because it will be set as the homepage and new tab. Not seeing something so substantial would be unusual. Furthermore, the hijackers will change your search engine. Any time a search is done through the browser address bar, you will be redirected to an odd website and shown changed search results. You should also know that these modifications are done without your permission.
Sponsored sites will be included in the results, and visiting them might lead to more severe infections. In order to make revenue, hijackers insert those sponsored web pages and redirect users. One wrong click could lead to a malicious web page promoting malicious software or scams. Generally, it’s not difficult to separate between safe results and sponsored ones, as they have little to do with what you were searching for.
Precisely because hijackers do these modifications and redirect you should you uninstall them as quickly as possible. Many users don’t bother rushing to remove them since they don’t look to be especially harmful. Hijackers are not removed at all by certain users. Since they can expose you to potentially harmful content, they ought to be deleted.
The hijacker will also spy while you’re browsing, gathering data about your internet activities. It will not be sensitive data, more general information like what sites you visit, searches, and your location. The hijacker would probably share the information with unknown third-parties.
Ways to remove search.theprotecto.com
Employing anti-spyware software to remove search.theprotecto.com is the best way. By trying manual removal you might miss certain files, which may lead to the hijacker reappearing. If you use spyware removal software, it would remove search.theprotecto.com completely and not leave any files behind.
Once you remove the hijacker, you will be able to alter your browser’s settings however you wish. As long as you pay attention to how you install programs, these types of threats would be stopped in the future.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Web Score by ProtectoUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Web Score by Protecto. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Web Score by Protecto and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Web Score by Protecto and related programs.
Remove Web Score by Protecto from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Web Score by Protecto from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Web Score by Protecto from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Web Score by Protecto from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Web Score by Protecto or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Web Score by Protecto from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Web Score by Protecto from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Web Score by Protecto from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Web Score by Protecto from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Web Score by Protecto and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.