About Smashtab Virus
Smashtab Virus is categorized as a redirect virus, and it likely came with a application package. The reason the browser hijacker is installed is because you did not notice it adjoined to some program that you installed. If you don’t want these types of threats to inhabit your OS, be cautious about what kind of applications you install. Redirect viruses are not considered to be harmful themselves but they do act in an unwanted way.
Your browser’s homepage and new tabs will be set to load the redirect virus’s advertised site instead of your usual page. Your search engine will also be changed into one that may insert advertisement links into results. If you click on such a result, you’ll be redirected to strange pages, whose owners are attempting to earn money from traffic. You need to be careful with those reroutes since one of them might redirect you to a malware infection. And would cause much more harm compared to this infection. You may consider redirect viruses useful but you could find the same features in reliable extensions, ones that will not redirect you to harmful pages. Some browser redirects are also acquiring certain kind of data about users’ Internet activity, so that more personalized ads could be displayed. That information can also end up in questionable third-party hands. If you wish to prevent undesirable consequences, you should take the time to terminate Smashtab Virus.
What do I need to know about these threats
It is a known fact that redirect viruses come together freeware packages. They are definitely very intrusive infections, so we doubt anyone would install them otherwise. The reason this method is so broadly used is because people behave negligently when installing applications, which means they miss all indications that something added. The offers are hiding and if you rush, you have no chance of seeing them, and you not noticing them means their installation will be authorized. Opt out of using Default settings as they will permit unfamiliar installations. Advanced (Custom) mode, on the other hand, will display you those items. Unless you wish to deal with unwanted installations, unchecking every box that becomes visible. And until you have done that, don’t continue with the freeware installation. Dealing with these infections can be annoying so you would do yourself a great favor by initially stopping them. Furthermore, be more careful about where you get your applications from as questionable sources could bring a lot of trouble.
Even if you aren’t the most computer-savvy person, you will know of a hijacker infection soon after infection. Without your explicit consent, it’ll perform modifications to your browser, setting your homepage, new tabs and search engine to its advertised website. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox will be among the browsers affected. The page will greet you every time your browser is launched, and this will continue until you remove Smashtab Virus from your computer. Attempting to change the settings back would a wild-goose chase since the hijacker will alter them again. If the redirect virus also sets a weird search engine for you, every time you carry out a search through browser’s address bar or the provided search box, you’d get results generated by that engine. Relying on those results isn’t suggested as you’ll be redirected to advertisement content. These kinds of infections intend to boost traffic for certain sites so that more income from adverts is earned. Owners will be able to earn more revenue when there is more traffic since more people are likely to interact with adverts. Those web pages are oftentimes rather obvious because they evidently have nothing to do with what you were actually searching for. Some of the results could seem legitimate at first but if you are vigilant, you ought to be able to differentiate them. You have to to be cautious because some web pages may be malicious, which might allow severe infections to get into your OS. The browser hijacker will also follow your Internet activity, intending to acquire data about what you would be interested in. The data might then be shared with various third-parties, who would use it for advertising purposes. Or the browser hijacker may use it to make sponsored content that is more relevant. It’s highly advised that you uninstall Smashtab Virus, for all the above mentioned reasons. And after you complete the process, there should not be problems with modifying browser’s settings.
Smashtab Virus Removal
While the threat isn’t as severe as some others, we still advise that you erase Smashtab Virus as quickly as possible. While there are two methods to dispose of the reroute virus, by hand and automatic, opt for the one based on your experience with computers. You will have to find where the hijacker is hiding yourself if you opt for the former method. The process itself isn’t complex, albeit more time-consuming than you may have initially thought, but you are welcome to make use of the instructions supplied below this article. By following the guidelines, you should not have issues with attempting to get rid of it. However, if this is your first time dealing with a browser hijacker, the other option may work better. In that case, acquire spyware removal software, and discard the infection using it. This type of software is created with the intention of disposing of threats like this, so you shouldn’t run into any problems. You can check whether you were successful by altering browser’s settings, if you are permitted to, the contamination is no longer present. If the website still loads every time you open your browser, even after you’ve altered your homepage, the reroute virus was not entirely terminated and was able to recover. You may prevent these kinds of threats in the future by installing programs correctly. If you have good computer habits now, you will be thankful later.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Smashtab VirusUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Smashtab Virus. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Smashtab Virus and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Smashtab Virus and related programs.
Remove Smashtab Virus from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Smashtab Virus from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Smashtab Virus from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Smashtab Virus from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Smashtab Virus or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Smashtab Virus from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Smashtab Virus from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Smashtab Virus from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Smashtab Virus from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Smashtab Virus and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.