Special-update.info hijacker could be to blame for the modifications made to your browser, and it could have entered via free software bundles. The threat was probably attached to a free software as an additional offer, and since you didn’t uncheck it, it installed. If you want to block these kinds of annoying infections, you should pay attention to what type of applications you install. This is a low level infection but because of its unnecessary activity, you will want it gone as soon as possible. You’ll find that instead of the usual home web page and new tabs, your browser will now load a different page. Your search engine will also be changed into one that may inject advertisement links among the legitimate results. You will be redirected to advertisement sites so that site owners could earn money from boosted traffic. Some browser hijacker are able to redirect to malicious websites so unless you want to get your system contaminated with malicious software, you need to be careful. The malware contamination that you could get might cause much more severe outcomes, so make sure you avoid it. So that people see them as handy, hijackers pretend to have useful features but the reality is, you could easily replace them with trustworthy add-ons which would not redirect you. You won’t always see this but redirect viruses are tracking your browsing and gathering data so that more personalized sponsored content could be made. It wouldn’t be unusual if that information was shared with third-parties as well. And the quicker you uninstall Special-update.info, the better.
How does Special-update.info act
Not everyone is aware of this but hijackers are frequently added to freeware. Since these are very annoying infections, we very much doubt you got it willingly. If users started paying closer attention to how they install programs, this method wouldn’t be so effective. The offers are hidden and if you rush, you have no chance of seeing them, and you not seeing them means their installation will be authorized. Default mode will hide the offers, and by picking them, you may be risking installing all kinds of unwanted threats. Unchecking those offers is essential, but they will only be apparent in Advanced (Custom) settings. Ensure you uncheck all the offers. After you deselect all the offers, you can continue installing the free program. Initially blocking the threat can can go a long way to save you a lot time because dealing with it later might be time-consuming and annoying. Review from where you acquire your software because by using untrustworthy sites, you risk infecting your system with malware.
The only good thing when it comes to browser hijacker infections is that they’re rather evident. It’ll modify browser’s settings without your authorization so your home website, new tabs and search engine will be modified to show a different site. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox will be among the browsers altered. The page will load every time you open your browser, and this will go on until you terminate Special-update.info from your operating system. The browser redirect will keep nullifying the changes back so do not waste time attempting to alter anything. Browser hijackers also alter default search engines, so don’t be surprised if when you search for something through browser address bar, a strange page will greet you. Do not click on any weird results as they would lead to sponsored sites. Browser hijackers are occasionally implemented by site owners to boost traffic and make more money, which is why reroutes are occurring. Owners will be able to earn more revenue when their sites have more traffic as more people will probably interact with ads. If you click on those web pages, you will see that they hardly have anything to do with what you were looking for. Some of the results might look real at first but if you are vigilant, you ought to be able to tell the difference. During one these redirects you might even pick up an infection, since those websites may be malicious software-ridden. Another thing you need to know is that these types of infections are able to snoop on you so as to obtain info about what sites you are more likely to visit and what you tend to search for most. You need to find out if the obtained information would be sold to third-parties, who could use it to make advertisements. If not, the browser hijacker may be using it to make the sponsored results more personalized. We advise you to erase Special-update.info as it quite useless to you. You should also change your browser’s settings back to normal after you’ve carried out the process.
How to remove Special-update.info
Since you now are aware of what kind of infection you are dealing with, you can eliminate Special-update.info. While you have two options when it comes to disposing of the browser hijacker, manual and automatic, you ought to opt for the one best suiting your knowledge about computers. If you choose the former, you’ll have to find the threat yourself. It isn’t hard to do but it could take a bit of time, but we will provide guidelines to help you. If you follow them step-by-step, you should not run into problems. But, if you have no experience with computers, it might be too hard. Downloading anti-spyware software for the removal of the threat may best in that case. Those programs are designed to eliminate threats such as this, so there should be no issues. If your browser allows you to modify the settings back, you have successfully gotten rid of the reroute virus. The threat still remains if your browser keeps loading the redirect virus’s site every time you open it. If you take care to install software properly in the future, you ought to be able to avoid these types of infections in the future. Make sure you create decent computer habits because it may prevent a lot of trouble.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Special-update.infoUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Special-update.info. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Special-update.info and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Special-update.info and related programs.
Remove Special-update.info from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Special-update.info from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Special-update.info from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Special-update.info from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Special-update.info or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Special-update.info from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Special-update.info from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Special-update.info from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Special-update.info from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Special-update.info and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.