What is sportssearchdirect.com
sportssearchdirect.com is a redirect virus that mainly targets Macs, also called a browser hijacker. Since their prime intention isn’t system problems, they aren’t thought to be dangerous infections. The hijackers are not entirely harmless, however, because redirecting to sponsored websites and generating profit is their main purpose. While hijackers use sneaky methods to install, they become immediately obvious after. Sponsored content will appear in your search results, you’ll be redirected to unusual sites, and you will notice your browser displaying other weird behaviour. However, because not everyone knows what a browser hijacker is, they might not realize said odd behaviour is a sign of an infection. But a plain search with google of the symptoms and the page they are redirected to would point to a hijacker.
In addition to the weird redirects, hijackers also make modifications to browser’s settings. Your browser will have a different homepage/new tabs, and it might be hard to undo what has been changed. Making modifications to your browser’s settings permits hijackers to redirect you.
Since browser hijacker aren’t malware they can’t install by themselves. Users usually install them, although they normally don’t even notice it. Hijackers, and other pests such as adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) come as added items attached to free programs, and along with the free programs, users end up installing the attached items as well. It isn’t complicated to stop these unwanted installations, as long as you know how to do it, and we’ll clarify in the next section.
Eliminate sportssearchdirect.com as quickly as possible since while it is rather insignificant, it’s still an infection. In addition to you not being able to browse normally, the hijacker may be able to expose you to malware, scams and other content that may cause harm to your computer.
Ways sportssearchdirect.com installs
Browser hijackers install along with free software, as we’ve said above. This is known as software bundling, and it involves adding additional offers (hijackers, adware, etc) to freeware. Software bundling is a rather frowned upon because users are not made aware of the items but they are preselected to install with the free software. We ought to mention that if you pay attention to how you install programs, preventing these unwanted installations should be very simple.
Advanced (Custom) settings are the settings you should pick when installing free software. The additional items will be concealed in Default mode. You will be able to uncheck the offers in Advanced settings because they will be made visible. These unnecessary installations are preventable by simply unchecking the offers. Selecting Advanced settings and deselecting the offers takes mere seconds, while browser hijackers deletion would take a much longer time. You’ll also block a lot of rubbish from installing by genuinely paying attention to program installation processes.
Is the hijacker dangerous
Since they hijack Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and other frequently used browsers, and then cause redirects to odd websites, redirect viruses are rather noticeable computer infections. Your browser’s settings will be modified by the hijacker so that your homepage is set to its advertised website, and whenever you open your browser, that is the web page you will be redirected to. Something else that will be different is your search engine. Whenever you search using your browser address bar, you will be redirected to a web page promoted by the hijacker and shown altered search results. It will become pretty apparent that search results have been altered since they will contain sponsored content. By redirecting you to certain pages, hijackers could generate traffic and revenue. Take into account that being randomly redirected to unfamiliar websites is not only annoying but also potentially harmful. Avoid engaging with advertising or sponsored content until the redirect virus is no longer installed on your device. Because hijackers don’t ensure the safety of the websites they redirect users to, you may easily be led to harmful ones. A sponsored site may be prompting you to participate in a scam or install malware. Keeping a hijacker installed isn’t a great idea, even if they are not directly harmful to the computer.
We should also say that browser hijackers snoop on users, and collect information about their searches, what content they’re likely to engage with, websites visited, their IP addresses, etc. It’s not odd for hijackers to share that data with unknown third-parties, who use it for advertising purposes.
In short, the hijacker is quite disruptive because it installs unauthorized, it modifies browser’s settings, and redirects to possibly damaging sites. There is no reason why you should not delete sportssearchdirect.com.
It’s highly suggested to use spyware removal software to delete sportssearchdirect.com as that is the simplest way. If you use anti-spyware software, you could be sure the infection has been completely deleted. Manual sportssearchdirect.com removal isn’t impossible, if you ensure no hijacker parts are left. There should not be any issues restoring your browser’s settings back to normal after you remove sportssearchdirect.com completely.
Download Removal Toolto scan for sportssearchdirect.comUse our recommended removal tool to scan for sportssearchdirect.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like sportssearchdirect.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall sportssearchdirect.com and related programs.
Remove sportssearchdirect.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall sportssearchdirect.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete sportssearchdirect.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove sportssearchdirect.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for sportssearchdirect.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete sportssearchdirect.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase sportssearchdirect.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove sportssearchdirect.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall sportssearchdirect.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable sportssearchdirect.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.