What is Web companion by Adaware
Web companion by Adaware is a legitimate system tool that’s classified as a potentially unwanted program (PUP), primarily due to its installation method. The reason you may be reading this is because Web companion has suddenly appeared on your computer and you have no recollection of installing it. That is because the program is distributed via software bundling, meaning it comes attached to freeware as an extra offer. This is the main reason why Web companion is classified as a PUP, as software bundling is a rather deceptive installation method and programs that use it are usually detected as potential threats by anti-virus vendors. We will explain this method of installation in a more detailed manner later on, as well as give advice on how to avoid unwanted installations in the future.
Web companion by Adaware is not a malicious program, nor will it harm your computer. Otherwise, it would be detected as a threat, instead of a PUP. Web companion, developed by Adaware, is a tool that is supposed to protect you from dangerous sites, work as an adblocker, and stop intrusive tracking. It doesn’t replace an anti-virus program but according to the developers, it would provide protection when browsing. While it may work as advertised, if you didn’t install it knowingly, you shouldn’t keep it installed.
When Web companion by Adaware installs on your computer, you may notice certain changes to browser’s settings. Your homepage and search engine may be changed, which can be quite annoying if you were tricked into installing Web companion. What’s more frustrating is that you may be prevented from undoing those changes while the program remains installed on your computer. If you haven’t installed it yourself, we strongly recommend you uninstall Web companion by Adaware from the computer.
Web companion installs via software bundling
The developers admit in their official website that Web companion is distributed via software bundling. Software bundling is a controversial installation method because it essentially tricks users into installing programs without them even noticing. Because of this, anti-virus programs detect programs that spread via software bundling, including Web companion.
Software bundling is essentially adding additional offers to programs, usually the free software you download from those free download websites. The offers are added to programs in a way that allows them to install alongside automatically, though they are optional. The controversial thing about software bundling is that users are not properly informed about anything being attached when they install free software. So if they rush the installation, they won’t notice that something is installing alongside.
But as we said, the offers are optional so you can prevent unwanted offers from installing alongside programs. When installing freeware, always opt for Advanced (Custom) settings when given the option. Those offers will be made visible, and you will have the option to deselect everything. All you really need to do is uncheck the boxes. The mistake users make when installing programs is choosing Default settings. Default settings hide everything that’s been added, which allows the offers to install alongside automatically. So always opt for Advanced settings to deselect the offers.
Keep in mind that most free programs will come with extra offers, so it’s important to always pay attention to how you install programs. Otherwise, your computer will be filled with junk programs that don’t do anything.
Does Web companion by Adaware harm the computer?
The biggest issue with Web companion is that it can install without explicit permission from users. This is quite deceptive, especially because many users do not care about or even notice such programs installing, thus leave them installed. It’s not malicious, however, so there is no need to worry about it harming your computer. Nonetheless, it’s not a particularly useful program to have installed either, as it doesn’t really do anything. Furthermore, if you have anti-virus software, you’re already protected and thus, have no need to for a program like Web companion.
Web companion is developed by Adaware and it works as a tool that provides protection when browsing. It’s supposed to alert you when you’re about to enter a potentially dangerous website, block intrusive ads, as well as block websites and ads from tracking you. It sounds like a useful program to have but if you have anti-virus software installed, it’s not really necessary as you are already protected. It may also make unnecessary changes to your browser, such as set a different site as your homepage and change your search engine. This is done to redirect users to certain websites, thus can be quite annoying.
It does not appear to be a paid program so it shouldn’t be showing fake scan results just to trick you into purchasing its full version. The reason we mention this is because there are a lot of deceptive programs that show fake scan results in order to pressure users into buying the full programs. Scans results can often be either exaggerated or completely fake, all to pressure users. So we recommend that users are always skeptical of system utility programs that claim to detect a lot of issues but don’t fix them unless users first buy the full program.
Web companion by Adaware removal
You should be able to remove Web companion by Adaware fairly easily yourself. It’s not malware so there shouldn’t be issues with uninstalling it the regular way. The official website for Web companion also provides instructions for users who struggle with uninstalling it.
But because it’s classified as a PUP, it is detected by anti-virus vendors. So if you have anti-virus software installed, it would delete Web companion by Adaware for you. You may actually be alerted immediately when Web companion by Adaware installs. But as we said above, it’s not a malicious program so keeping it installed for a little will not do any harm.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Web companion Adware 2021Use our recommended removal tool to scan for Web companion Adware 2021. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Web companion Adware 2021 and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Web companion Adware 2021 and related programs.
Remove Web companion Adware 2021 from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Web companion Adware 2021 from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Web companion Adware 2021 from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Web companion Adware 2021 from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Web companion Adware 2021 or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Web companion Adware 2021 from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Web companion Adware 2021 from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Web companion Adware 2021 from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Web companion Adware 2021 from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Web companion Adware 2021 and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.