What kind of threat are you dealing with
SearchTheConverter is categorized as a redirect virus, and it likely came with a application bundle. The reason you have a redirect virus on your PC is because you didn’t see it adjoined to some software that you installed. These unneeded programs are why it is crucial that you pay attention to how you install programs. Hijackers are quite low-level threats they do behave in an unwanted way. example, you will see changed browser’s settings, and you new tabs and homepages will be set to the hijacker’s advertised site.
What you’ll also find is that your search is changed, and it may be inserting sponsored links into search results. If you click on one of those result, you’ll be redirected to strange websites, whose owners get profit from boosted traffic. Some users end up with malicious program via these types of redirects since some hijackers are able to redirect to sites that are thick with malware. If you got malicious program, the situation would be much worse. You may find the hijacker’s supplied features beneficial but you should know that they can be found in legitimate extensions too, which do not jeopardize your system. You should also be aware that some browser hijackers would be able to monitor user behavior and gather certain data in order to know what kind of content you’re more interested in. That information could also fall into suspicious third-party hands. And that is why you ought to uninstall SearchTheConverter the second you run into it.
What you ought to know about these threats
The most likely way you got the hijacker was through freeware installation. We do not think that people would install them willingly, so free program bundles is the most likely method. This is an effective method because users are quite careless when they install freeware, instead, choosing to hurry and not read the info that is provided. You must pay attention as items tend to hide, and by not noticing them, you are allowing them to install. Opting for Default mode would be a mistake since they will not show anything. Advanced (Custom) mode, on the other hand, will show you those offers. Unmarking all the boxes would be the best choice, unless you want to have to deal with unnecessary installations. All you have to do is unmark the boxes, and you may then continue freeware installation. Blocking the threat from the very beginning can can go a long way to save you a lot time because dealing with it later can be time-consuming and aggravating. In addition, be more selective about where you get your applications from as unreliable sources can cause a lot of trouble.
How to terminate SearchTheConverter
Even if it is not the most serious infection you might obtain, but it can still be pretty aggravating, so if you just terminate SearchTheConverter you should be able to restore everything back to normal. Depending on how computer-savvy you are, you may pick from manual and automatic methods to cleanse the reroute virus from your PC. If you decide to go with the former, you will have to locate where the contamination is hiding yourself. While the process might take more time than initially thought, it should be pretty easy to do, and if you need assistance, instructions will be supplied below this article. If you follow them step-by-step, you ought to not run into trouble. However, if you have little experience when it comes to computers, it might be too complicated. In that case, acquire spyware removal software, and have it take care of everything. The program will pinpoint the infection and once it does, all you need to do is permit it to dispose of the browser hijacker. You can check whether you were successful by modifying browser’s settings, if your alterations are not reversed, the threat is gone. If you’re still seeing the same site even after you modify the settings, the browser hijacker is still present. If you wish these types of situations to not occur in the future, install software carefully. If you have good tech habits, you will prevent a lot of trouble.
Download Removal Toolto scan for SearchTheConverterUse our recommended removal tool to scan for SearchTheConverter. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like SearchTheConverter and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall SearchTheConverter and related programs.
Remove SearchTheConverter from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall SearchTheConverter from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete SearchTheConverter from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove SearchTheConverter from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for SearchTheConverter or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete SearchTheConverter from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase SearchTheConverter from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove SearchTheConverter from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall SearchTheConverter from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable SearchTheConverter and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.