Topcontent.icu will carry out alterations to your browser which is why it is considered to be a browser hijacker. Browser hijackers may sometimes be found attached to freeware, and if they go unseen, they would install without the user actually seeing. If you do not want these types of infections to inhabit your computer, you should pay attention to what kind of applications you install. Browser hijackers are not exactly dangerous but their behavior does raise a few questions.
You will find that instead of the web page that is set as your home web page and new tabs, your browser will now load a different page. What you will also find is that your search is modified, and it may be manipulating search results by injecting sponsored content into them. The redirects are carried out so that the website owners can earn money from traffic and ads. Some of those reroutes could lead to insecure sites, so be careful not to get a serious infection. And a severe malicious software infection could be more trouble than you think. In order for users to see them as beneficial, redirect viruses try to appear very useful but the reality is, you could easily replace them with legitimate add-ons which wouldn’t redirect you. You may come across more content you would be interested in, and it is because the browser hijacker is gathering data about you and following your searches. That info can also fall into problematic third-party hands. And the quicker you uninstall Topcontent.icu, the less time the hijacker will have to affect your operating system.
What do I have to know about these infections
This may surprise you but browser hijackers commonly come together with freeware. Since they’re very irritating infections, we very much doubt you got it knowing what it is. This method is effective because users are likely to rush installations, not reading anything, and in general just being rather careless during software installation. The items are hidden and by rushing you loose all chance of seeing them, and you not seeing them means their installation will be authorized. Opt out of using Default mode because they will permit unwanted installations. Advanced (Custom) settings, on the other hand, will make the items visible. Unchecking all the items would be the best choice, unless you want to have to deal with unnecessary installations. And until you have done that, do not continue the installation. Preventing the infection from the very beginning can save you a lot time because dealing with it later will be time-consuming. You also need to stop downloading from untrustworthy web pages, and instead, pick official/legitimate web pages/stores.
If a redirect virus is installed, it’s doubtful you wouldn’t notice. Without your explicit consent, it will change your browser’s settings, setting your homepage, new tabs and search engine to a page its promoting. It’s probable that it will alter all of the leading browsers, like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. And until you erase Topcontent.icu from the device, the site will greet you every time you launch your browser. The browser hijacker will keep nullifying the alterations back so don’t waste time attempting to change anything. It is also possible changes would also be made to your default search engine, which would mean that whenever you use the browser’s address bar, results would come from the browser hijacker’s set search engine. Trusting those results isn’t encouraged since you will be rerouted to advertisement links. Browser hijackers are occasionally implemented by page owners to increase traffic and earn more money, which is why redirects are happening. Owners will be able to earn more revenue when their web pages have more traffic since more people will possibly interact with ads. If you press on those web pages, you’ll quickly see that they have nothing to do with what you were looking for. In some cases they may look legitimate initially, if you were to search ‘malware’, sites advertising bogus security software could come up, and they might look to be real in the beginning. When you are redirected, you might end up with an infection as those web pages may be malware-ridden. Your browsing activity will also be overseen, with the intention of acquiring information about what you are interested in. The data could also be shared with unknown parties, who could use it for advertisement purposes. If not, the hijacker could use it to make more personalized sponsored content. Because of everything we noted above you should remove Topcontent.icu. Since the redirect virus will no longer be there to stop you, after you complete the process, ensure you restore your browser’s settings.
Since you now realize how the infection is affecting your system, terminate Topcontent.icu. Depending on on your computer experience, you may choose either manual and automatic way to rid your PC of the hijacker. If you have experience with terminating software, you can go with the former, as you’ll have to locate the infection yourself. If you are unsure of what to do, scroll down to find the instructions. They should provide the guidance you need to take care of the threat, so ensure you follow them properly. This method may not be the correct choice if you have little experience when it comes to computers. In that case, the best fix for you would be to acquire spyware removal software, and have it take care of everything. Anti-spyware software will identify the threat and deal with it without issues. To check whether the infection is gone or not, try modifying your browser’s settings, if you are allowed to do so, it is a success. If the web page continues to load every time you launch your browser, even after you have altered your homepage, the browser hijacker was not completely terminated and was able to recover. You can avoid these and similar infections in the future by installing programs carefully. If you wish to have an uncluttered computer, you have to have good computer habits.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Topcontent.icuUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Topcontent.icu. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Topcontent.icu and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Topcontent.icu and related programs.
Remove Topcontent.icu from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Topcontent.icu from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Topcontent.icu from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Topcontent.icu from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Topcontent.icu or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Topcontent.icu from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Topcontent.icu from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Topcontent.icu from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Topcontent.icu from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Topcontent.icu and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.