What is Search.softsurf.xyz
Search.softsurf.xyz is a redirect virus that affects Macs, also known as a browser hijacker. Since their main aim is not system issues, they’re considered to be rather minor infections. It is not completely harmless, however, as its main intention is to generate traffic and revenue for certain web pages. While hijackers install sneakily, their behaviour makes them highly noticeable infections. You’ll be randomly redirected by your browser to random sites, and you’ll see sponsored content in your search results. For users with little knowledge of computer infections, the browser behaving unusually will not automatically be a sign of an infection. But if they were to use a search engine to look into the site they’re redirected to, it would quickly become clear it’s a hijacker.
Changes will also be made to your browser, in addition to the redirects. Every time you launch it, you browser will display another homepage/new tabs, which might be difficult to reverse. By changing your browser’s settings, hijackers can redirect you.
It should be said that hijackers can’t install without you allowing it as they are neither malicious software nor viruses. Users usually install them, though they normally do it without knowing it. Infections like hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are added to freeware as extra items, and when users install the free programs, they end up installing the attached items as well. We will clarify how you could avoid installing the undesirable applications in the next section of the article, so do carry on reading.
While the hijacker quite a trivial infection, the sooner you delete Search.softsurf.xyz the better. Keep in mind that you could be exposed to content that’s quite unreliable, such as malicious software and scams, in addition to disrupting your regular browsing.
How does a hijacker spread
As we have said above, browser hijackers can install alongside freeware. This is referred to as program bundling, and it’s essentially attaching extra offers like hijackers to known freeware. Those items are hidden from users but they are permitted to install alongside, which makes software bundling rather dubious. It should not be complicated to prevent these installations if you pay attention to software installation.
When installing free software, choosing Advanced (Custom) settings is important. Default settings, even if it’ll say that they’re the suggested, will conceal the items. If anything has been attached to the software, it’ll be made visible in Advanced settings, and you’ll be able to deselect everything. Unchecking the boxes of those offers is enough to stop them from installing. It does not take long to deselect a few boxes in Advanced settings, while browser hijackers elimination can take increasingly longer. You will be avoiding loads of rubbish if you pay attention when installing applications.
Is the hijacker harmful
After they install, redirect viruses start to redirect you to random web pages no matter which browser you’re using, whether it’s Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, which makes them immediately obvious. Whenever your browser is opened, you will end up on the web page the hijacker is promoting, which has been set as the homepage. Your search engine will be another change made to your browser without authorization. When you search using your browser address bar, you will be redirected to a web page promoted by the hijacker and displayed modified search results. You will quite quickly notice that something isn’t right with the search results because they will contain sponsored content. Users are redirected to those sponsored websites so that hijackers could generate income and traffic. Being randomly redirected is evidently particularly aggravating, but bear in mind that the pages might also be dangerous. It isn’t a great idea to engage with any sponsored or advertisement content until you delete the hijacker because of that. Keep in mind that the pages you will be led to will be unsafe because hijackers do not check the security of the pages. A sponsored web page could be encouraging you to take part in a scam or install malware. It’s not a great idea to keep a hijacker installed because while they might not do direct damage to your device, they are not completely harmless.
The hijacker will also be recording what pages you visit, your searches, IP address, what content you would be more probable to interact with. Unfamiliar third-parties might later get access to that data, and it’s doubtful you want that.
In short, the hijacker did not request your explicit permission to install, made unwanted browser setting changes, began leading you to sponsored pages for revenue, and showed you potentially dubious content. Search.softsurf.xyz elimination is necessary, and the quicker you do it the better.
Ways to remove Search.softsurf.xyz from your Mac computer
It would be best to use anti-spyware programs to remove Search.softsurf.xyz. By using anti-spyware programs, you can be sure the infection is removed completely. Manual Search.softsurf.xyz removal is not impossible, as long as you ensure all hijacker components are gone. You will be able to restore your browser’s settings with no problems after you remove Search.softsurf.xyz.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Search.softsurf.xyzUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Search.softsurf.xyz. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Search.softsurf.xyz and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Search.softsurf.xyz and related programs.
Remove Search.softsurf.xyz from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Search.softsurf.xyz from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Search.softsurf.xyz from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Search.softsurf.xyz from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Search.softsurf.xyz or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Search.softsurf.xyz from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Search.softsurf.xyz from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Search.softsurf.xyz from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Search.softsurf.xyz from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Search.softsurf.xyz and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.