About Star-search.xyz Redirect
Star-search.xyz Redirect is a Mac browser hijacker, also referred to as a redirect virus. Normally, hijackers aren’t dangerous infections since their main goal is not to cause harm. It isn’t harmless, however, as it wants to generate traffic and profit by leading you to questionable web pages. Hijackers are rather obvious infections, even if they use a sly method for installation. Sponsored content will be mixed in among real search results, you’ll be redirected to odd sites, and you will note your browser displaying other bizarre behaviour. Because not everyone is aware of browser hijackers, they might not associate them with the strange behaviour. But if they were to use a search engine to look into the web page they are redirected to, it would instantly become clear it is a hijacker.
The hijacker will also perform modifications to your browser’s settings, in addition to redirecting. Every time it is launched, you browser will show another homepage/new tabs, which may be hard to undo. Hijackers are able to redirect you precisely because they make those alterations.
Redirect viruses are not malicious software which means they cannot install without your consent, whether you give it intentionally or not. Users themselves authorize them to install, even if they do not do it purposely. The hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), use software bundling to install, which basically is attaching them to free programs as extra offers which may install alongside. However, preventing these undesirable installations is simple, and the proceeding section of the article will explain how.
It’s a good idea to uninstall Star-search.xyz Redirect promptly, even if it is a rather insignificant infection. Your normal browsing might be interrupted by the hijacker but it might also expose you to malicious software, scams and other very harmful content.
How are hijackers spread
Browser hijackers install with free software, as we’ve said above. Bundling programs is what this is called, and it involves attaching hijackers (and other similar infections) to freeware as additional items. The thing about this method is that the added offers are set to install alongside the freeware but are hidden from users. It’s worth mentioning that if you’re vigilant when installing software, you should be able to stop the installation of these offers quite easily.
When installing free programs, selecting Advanced (Custom) settings is vital. Default settings, even if it will claim that they are the suggested, will conceal the offers. You’ll be able to deselect the offers in Advanced settings because they will be made visible. All that is necessary is unchecking the items, and they will not be able to install. Keep in mind that avoiding installations takes much less time compared to eliminating infections that have been installed already. By paying attention to how you install applications, you’ll avoid a lot of rubbish applications.
More detailed information about the hijacker
One of the most glaring symptoms of a browser hijacker is weird redirects to odd web pages, whenever the browser is opened, whether you’re using Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. The hijacker will make modifications to your browser’s settings so that its promoted web page is set as the homepage, and whenever you open your browser, that’s the site you will be led to. As well as a different homepage, your browser will also have a another search engine. You’ll be redirected to a site promoted by the hijacker and then shown changed search results when you carry out a search using the browser address bar. Sponsored content will be inserted among the legitimate results. Hijackers redirect users to sponsored web pages so they could generate revenue and traffic. Not only will redirects get on your nerves, they could also cause damage. We would suggest not engaging with any sponsored or advertisement content while a hijacker is installed because of that. Hijackers don’t review the safety of the pages they redirect users to so you could easily end up on harmful ones. Malicious software or scams could be lurking on the web pages the hijacker redirects you to. That’s why hijackers shouldn’t remain installed, even if they do not directly harm the computer.
You should also know that browser hijackers have a tendency to spy on users, and collect various data related their searches, visited pages, IP address and more. It’s possible that unknown third-parties would get the information and use it as well.
In short, the hijacker didn’t ask for your explicit authorization to install, made undesired changes to your browsers, began redirecting you to sponsored sites so as to generate revenue, and showed you potentially dubious content. Do not wait to delete Star-search.xyz Redirect even if it does not seem like the most dangerous infection.
How you can delete Star-search.xyz Redirect from your Mac
The easiest way to uninstall Star-search.xyz Redirect would be to use spyware removal software. Using anti-spyware programs doesn’t require a lot of effort and ensures the infection is deleted completely. For users with experience in how to delete programs, it also shouldn’t be overly complex to delete Star-search.xyz Redirect manually. You’ll be able to change back your browser’s settings with little problems after Star-search.xyz Redirect elimination.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Star-search.xyzUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Star-search.xyz. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Star-search.xyz and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Star-search.xyz and related programs.
Remove Star-search.xyz from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Star-search.xyz from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Star-search.xyz from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Star-search.xyz from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Star-search.xyz or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Star-search.xyz from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Star-search.xyz from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Star-search.xyz from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Star-search.xyz from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Star-search.xyz and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.